ADAMS -- A chilly winter walk was all Wednesday’s evacuation of C.T. Plunkett Elementary School amounted to for students and staff.
After scouring the building for nearly an hour Wednesday morning, Fire Chief Paul Goyette said he and other Alert Hose Co. firefighters couldn’t find out why a fire alarm inside the building had triggered at 8:36 a.m.
"[The alarm system] is being serviced now and should be fixed soon," Goyette said around 4 p.m. on Wednesday. "We couldn’t determine exactly what it was [that triggered the alarm], most likely a malfunctioning detector."
An automated call received by all parents at 9 a.m. notified them of the evacuation and subsequent relocation of students to the First Congregational Church.
Students and staff walked to the Park Street church and were shuttled back by bus after no issues were found in the building.
As a precaution, the school’s population had exited hastily, before some could arm themselves against the cold. Some residents reported seeing children in T-shirts walking along Park Street despite Wednesday’s frigid conditions.
In a statement later posted on the school’s website, C.T. Plunkett principal Michelle Colvin wrote "faculty and staff engaged in our Fire Drill emergency procedures and all faculty, staff and students quickly and safely exited the building."
She continued, "Please know that the safety of our students is our number one priority."
Adams Police Department also responded to the alarm.
-- Phil Demers