NORTH ADAMS -- An early morning fire, which started in a bedroom closet Tuesday, has left a single-family home at 70 East Quincy St. with heavy smoke and fire damage.
Fire Director Steve Meranti said the fire, which was reported at 1:21 a.m., was discovered by homeowner Michael Perras.
"The family was sleeping. The father, Michael, smelled smoke and went to investigate," Meranti said. "The individual who lives in that bedroom wasn't home. Michael went in and saw smoke coming from the closet."
Meranti said Perras immediately woke his wife, Jane, and their daughter, safely getting them out of the house.
"He called 911 and then tried to extinguish the fire, but it was too much and he went back outside," Meranti said.
Upon arriving at the scene, city firefighters were able to put out the fire and discern that it had started in the closet, where a mattress and box spring, along with clothing, was being stored.
"It appears it started with a closet light fixture," he said. "We're looking at the cause being combustible material being too close to the fixture. It appeared as if the fire had been smoldering for a while before it was discovered."
He said smoke and heat damage occurred throughout the first floor of the house, making it unsuitable for the family to immediately return.
"The Health Department will be checking all of the family's food to ensure it is safe," Meranti said.
In addition to the city's Fire Department, members of the North Adams Police Depart ment and the North Adams Ambulance Service also responded. The city's Wire and Alarm Division were also on hand to shut off utilities to the house during the fire.