Looking for free family fun this summer? Look to your Massachusetts state parks and the Department of Con servation and Recreation’s (DCR) 2012 Great Park Pursuit. The Great Park Pursuit (GPP) invites families and family/youth groups to register as a Team and challenges them to visit 6 "park pursuits" that they create themselves.
Teams can visit DCR parks and programs near their home or plan adventures across the commonwealth. New in 2012 is the GPP squirrel mascot. Teams download and decorate their GPP Squirrel Mascot, name it, take it on their park pursuits and capture team and squirrel photos of their park adventures.
Teams share photos and stories on their GPP Family Homepage. Teams that meet the challenge are invited to the Grand Finale Celebration on Saturday, Sept. 15.
It’s all right here, in the Massachusetts state parks system! Discover the more than 450,000 acres of forests, parks and reservations from Cape Cod, to Boston, to the Berkshire Hills, including such world-famous destinations as Pilgrim Memorial State Park (home of Plymouth Rock), Walden Pond State Reservation in Concord, and the Charles River Esplanade in Boston. There are 87 ocean and inland beaches, more than 2,000 miles of trails, and 31 campgrounds, hundreds of free programs and events, as well as many mountaintops, islands, waterfalls, and historic resources to visit and explore! It all adds up to some amazing natural resources and
There’s nothing like a day of fresh air and adventure to bring the family together. Whether you like to hike, fish, climb, bike or swim, you’ll find a Massachusetts state park that’s just right for you. Join the 2012 Great Park Pursuit, get outdoors and create lasting memories together! Area Highlights Include:
* Pittsfield State Forest: Nature Walk, Sundays at 11 a.m.; Children’s Nature Program, Fridays at 10 a.m.; Junior Rangers, Saturdays at 10 a.m.
* Mount Greylock State Reservation: Tyke Hike, Fridays at 10 a.m.; Wild Waterfalls, Saturdays at 1 p.m.; Medicinal Herb Walk, Sundays at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
* Tolland State Forest: Critters of the Forest Fun! Fridays at 4 p.m., Hands On Nature! Sundays at 4 p.m.
* Natural Bridge State Park: Marvelous Marble Walk Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 2 p.m.; Nature Crafts for Kids, Thursdays at 2 p.m.
* Clarksburg State Park: Fort Massachusetts Com memorative Campfire, Aug. 18 at 7:30 p.m.
To register or find out more about the DCR Great Park Pursuit visit online at www.mass.gov/dcr/gpp or call 617-626-1450.