NORTH ADAMS -- The annual Fall Foliage Festival has begun, and the popular leaf hunt is under way. It will conclude Oct. 6.
The committee has an nounced the first set of clues. Brightly colored paper leaves are hidden throughout the area, and participants must solve the clues in order to find the leaves. People finding a leaf must return it to the Office of Tourism and Cultural De velopment, at 6 W. Main St., to claim their prize. Prizes for the event are generously donated by area merchants.
The committee has stated that the leaves are well hidden and suggests people search thoroughly to find them. One prize per household. In the event of unsolved clues, a second set of clues will be announced.
As always, there is a phantom leaf hunt for homebound residents. Interested people must mail a postcard with the answer to the clue, their name, address and phone number, to the Office of Tourism, 6 W. Main St., North Adams, MA 01247. Only mailed postcards will be eligible. In the event of a tie, the earliest postmark will determine the winner.
Answers to the clues and names of the winners will be announced at the conclusion of the event.
The first set of clues are as follows:
1. Park and ride
2. Great for both kinds of locks
3. Plenty of green but no sea
4. We have one, not 30
5. Deer, bears and raccoons are likely to be home on this range
6. No bears in this cave
8. It's no stonehenge or great wall
9. Flamboyant turbines
10. A myriagon has 10,000
11. A cozy hangout for some of the Ardiedal family
13. Get your cosmetics here (look for the red-headed twins)
1. It's now a very busy place but it was no Boston or Washington
2. Pretty soon this place will have cush
3. A tribute to Jefferson's mammoth inaugural gift