STAMFORD, Vt. -- Emergency responders from four communities took part in handling a house fire on Collins Road early Friday morning, according to a press release.
The Stamford Volunteer Fire Company responded to the 2:19 a.m. structure fire call at 186 Collins Road, where a couple renting the home was alerted to the fire by their daughter. The daughter smelled smoke before working smoke detectors in the home sounded, and the family evacuated before calling 911. There were no injuries reported as a result of the fire.
When the fire company arrived at 2:28 a.m., they found the wall behind the fireplace on fire, and it was quickly extinguished. Parts of the wall and ceiling were removed to check for fire extension.
"The cause of the fire is still under investigation," said Fire Chief Paul Ethier. "However, it is believed to have been caused by a faulty chimney liner."
Twenty Stamford firefighters responded to the call, along with firefighters from Readsboro, Vt. and Clarksburg, Mass. The North Adams Ambulance Service was also on scene. All units cleared the scene at 4:31 a.m.