ADAMS - Community response to the destructive house fire on Brown Street earlier this month will hit a high point this weekend at a benefit dinner at Turn Hall.
The event was organized by friends of Robert Wadsworth, whose 18 Brown St. home was lost to fire Friday, Jan. 4.
Scheduled for Saturday, from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m., the benefit will feature live music by Tom Corrigan & Friends, a bake sale and a Chinese auction.
The menu consists of pasta with meat sauce or meatballs and salad.
Wadsworth, a 48-year-old corrections officer at Berkshire County Jail & House of Correction, lost almost everything in the blaze, said friend Vince Hartman, of Adams.
Hartman said he began planning the dinner straight away.
"A friend and I got the ball rolling the day it happened," Hartman said Thursday.
They told Wadsworth the following evening, while sifting through the wreckage on Brown Street.
"We were trying to help him find anything salvageable - there wasn't much," Hartman said. "Of course his reaction was to say we didn't have to, but he's very happy we're doing it."
Hartman has had lots of support by way of donations.
"I started out by going around town here in Adams, and pretty much everywhere I went had something to donate [for the Chinese auction]," he said.
These items include a little of everything. Free meals at local restaurants, haircuts, a $500 gift set from Kripalu, oil changes, a year-long subscription to the Transcript and more.
The crown jewel is a handmade guitar by local guitar maker Nick Lenski with a base value of $2,100.
"I have a handful [of finished guitars] hanging around my shop and thought it would be a good thing to do," Lenski said. "I built it from raw materials ... everything's hand-made."
Lenski operates his business, Brier Road Guitars, on Richmond Street.
The guitar is being kept at the Bounti-Fare Restaurant, where one can also purchase a ticket for the benefit.
"I'm a guitar player and this is a nice guitar, man," restaurant owner David Nicholas said. "Hand-made, nice inlay, mother of pearl, the works."
Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for children. A Facebook event marked over 2,500 people invited as of press time Thursday.
"Live music, a lot of people, hopefully - it should be a good time," Hartman said.
Jan. 4's fire, caused by a faulty electrical circuit, began at roughly 5:45 a.m., and was knocked down within an hour. The remaining structure will be torn down.