NORTH ADAMS -- The failure of a piece of electrical equipment led to power being disrupted for over 4,000 customers Wednesday morning, a spokesman for National Grid said.
David Graves of National Grid said workers responded to a electrical pole on Curran Memorial Highway in North Adams at about 9:20 a.m. The pole, which holds equipment reported to have been sparking and smoking, was holding a main electrical line, Graves said.
Graves said the outage was caused by a malfunctioning air-break switch, which functions like a circuit breaker. Graves said officials were unsure as to why the equipment failed.
The National Grid website initially estimated 6,500 customers lost power in North Adams, Cheshire, Williamstown and Adams. When reached Wednesday afternoon, Graves said those figures were incorrect.
"Only customers in North Adams and Adams were affected," Gates said. "The areas of Commercial St. and Howland Ave. [in Adams] appeared to be the areas most affected."
At 9:45, National Grid restored power to about 65 customers, Graves said, and power was completely restored by 10 a.m.
-- Edward Damon