SAVOY -- A residential gazebo on Loop Road caught fire Wednesday, prompting a successful, multi-department response to quell the blaze.
The fire reportedly resulted from a controlled burn. Flames "got out of control due to wind and started the roof of the gazebo on fire," according to Savoy Fire Chief Lawrence Ordyna.
A resident called the event in at roughly 1 p.m., and the gazebo was "fully involved along with about a quarter acre brush fire" when firemen arrived, Ordyna wrote in a press release.
Ordyna requested mutual aid, prompting support from Adams Alert Hose Co. and Forest Wardens and the Cummington, Florida, Cheshire, Windsor and Plainfield fire departments.
Ordyna said the fire was controlled inside 20 minutes.
-- Phil Demers