BRATTLEBORO -- Nearly two dozen area artists and craftspeople are among more than 240 artisans statewide taking part in the Vermont Crafts Council’s Spring Open Studio Weekend on May 25 and 26.
Open Studio Weekend is a statewide celebration of the visual arts and creative process, offering opportunities for visitors to meet artists and craftspeople in their studios, some of which are only open to the public during this event. Event hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., each day.
The self-guided Open Studio tour features the work of glassblowers, jewelers, printmakers, potters, furniture makers, weavers, ironworkers, painters, sculptors, quilt makers and wood carvers.
The Vermont Crafts Council publishes a free map booklet with directions to participating sites. The Vermont Open Studio Guide is available throughout the state at Tourist Information Centers, galleries and studios. It is also available at www.vermontcrafts.com. or by calling 802-223-3380.
Information and maps can also be found at regional centers. In Windham County, those regional centers are at Vermont Artisan Designs & Gallery 2, 106 Main St., Brattleboro and at the Rockingham Arts and Museum Project -- RAMP, 7 Canal St., in Bellows Falls.
Area artists opening their studios this weekend, include:
* Mary Angus and William LeQuier -- Readsboro Glassworks, handblown glass and glass sculpture, 6954 Main St., Readsboro, 802-423-7706.
* Corner House Creations Garden and Gallery -- Jane May Jones, watercolors of architectural and garden elements, 1693 Branch Hill Road, Readsboro, 802-423-5095.
* Town Hill Pottery -- Aysha Peltz and Todd Wahlstrom, wheel-thrown porcelain and stoneware pottery, 612 Town Hill Road, Whitingham, 802-368-2807.
* Mary Procter, Bill Matuszeski -- local landscape paintings, 488 Faulkner Road, Whitingham, 802-368-7750.
* Jennifer Violette, sculptural hand blown glass, 12 New England Power Road, Wilmington , 802-464-5206.
* Stonepuddles -- Frank Sprague, garden art, birdbaths, benches, metals, 22 Stowe Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-380-4398.
* Green Mountain Pressed Flowers -- Ellie Roden, pressed flower creations; originals, prints, cards and bookmarks, 32 Ray Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5265.
* Eric Sprenger Fine Woodwork, handmade, original, contemporary furniture, 72 Castle Hill Road, Wilmington, 802-464-8392.
* Gallery Wright -- Mary Wright. Charcoals, oils, woodblocks, monoprints, landscapes, 103 Main St., Wilmington, 802-464-9922.
* Nicki Steel Photography, landscapes, flowers, farm animals, note cards, hearts in nature, 117 White’s Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5277.
* The Art of Humor Gallery -- Skip Morrow. Seriously funny fine art gallery, 30 Not-A Road, Wilmington, 802-464-5523.
* Applewood’s Woodworking Studio and Gallery -- David and Michelle Holzapfel. Tables, benches, burls and spalted wood, 2802 Route 9, Marlboro, 802-254-2908.
* Matthew Tell Pottery, wood-fired pottery with earth tones and overlays, 163 Potter’s Road, Marlboro, 802-254-8057.
* JMB Glass -- Josh and Marta Bernbaum. Functional and decorative handmade glass, 119 Hescock Road, Brattleboro, 610-812-3434.
* The Turnpike Road Pottery -- Malcolm Wright. Functional pottery, abstract sculpture, 88-90 Turnpike Road, Marlboro, 802-254-2168.
* Vermont Artisan Designs & Gallery 2. Distinct, unique, eclectic, Vermont crafts, 106 Main St., Brattleboro, 802-257-7044.
* Whetstone Watercolor Arts -- Lynn Hoeft. Transparent watercolors, colored pencil paintings, 22 Willow St., Brattleboro, 802-275-2525.
* Orchard Street Pottery -- Walter Slowinski. Woodfired salt-glazed pottery, branch handles, 658 Orchard St., Brattleboro, 802-257-1030.
* Sherwin Art Glass -- Christopher Sherwin. Unique collectible, handsculpted, blown glass, 33 Bridge St., Bellows Falls, 802-376-5744.
* Robert DuGrenier Associates, Inc., handblown, contemporary and hand painted glass, 1096 Route 30, Townshend, 802-365-4400.
* Kim Eng Yeo. Floral, still life and landscape watercolors, 628 Peaked Mountain Road, Townshend, 802-365-4521.
* Dunberry Hill Designs -- Cameron Howard. Traditional handcrafted floorcloths. 92 Winslow Dr., West Townshend, 802-874-7288.
* Mountain Painters and Artisans -- 12 artists. Murals, watercolors, photography, folk art. Mountain Marketplace, 5700 Route 100, Londonderry, 802-824-6555.
VCC launched Open Studio Weekend in 1993 to increase the visibility of artists and craftspeople in Vermont and to foster an appreciation for the creative process and the role that artists and craftspeople play in the vitality of Vermont’s communities.
The Vermont Crafts Council is a non-profit organization serving the Vermont visual arts community. Open Studio Weekend is supported by the galleries of Vermont State Craft Centers and by the Vermont Arts Council and the Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing.