STAMFORD, Vt. -- Firefighters from four towns responded to a call for a structure fire at a Main Road home shortly before 9 p.m. Thursday.
The three residents of 1085 Main Road returned home to find the floor in front of a wood stove was on fire, Stamford Fire Chief Paul Ethier said.
Mutual aid was called in from Readsboro,Vt., Clarksburg and North Adams to assist the Stamford Fire Department. Ethier said the fire had burned through the floor into the basement, but responders were able to extinguish it within 10 minutes.
Two pets living in the house were not harmed.
While the house suffered structural damage in the fire, the residents will be able to live there.
"All in all, it will be lived in again, but will need work," Ethier said.
-- Edward Damon