WILLIAMSTOWN -- An improperly disposed of cigarette is being blamed for a small structure fire that caused minor damage to a local restaurant Wednesday night.
Fire Chief Craig Pedercini said that the fire at Olympic Family Pizza Restaurant on Main Street started when a cigarette was thrown to the ground outside the restaurant on the northwest side of the building, and then got under the edge of the structure's siding.
"It smoldered there before it caught the exterior wall on fire," he said.
While the flames were contained to the exterior northwest corner of the building, an approximately two-square-foot hole had to be cut into the wall, and there was some smoke damage, he said.
"We got the call at 6:35 p.m., and had the fire under control in about 10 to 15 minutes. We were there for about an hour," he said.
The restaurant did close following the fire, but there is nothing major stopping it from reopening on Thursday as long as things check out, he said.
-- Meghan Foley