The storm caused by Hurricane Sandy not only wreaked havoc on the weather, but also on work and school schedules.
All schools and colleges in Berkshire County were closed Monday, with some schools scheduled to be closed today as well.
Some parents, mostly those working at smaller businesses, like the Center for EcoTechnology and Project Native, were excused from work to stay home with their children.
Others found themselves having to make last-minute child care arrangements for their school-aged children.
In preparation, the Gladys Allen Brigham Community Center in Pittsfield opened at 7:30 a.m. on Monday for its school-age and early childhood programs.
"We had parents that had to go to work," Kelly Marion, the center's chief executive officer told New England Newspapers on Monday. The center stayed open until 4 p.m. on Monday, and planned to be open today as well.
"It's always a close call, but it's our responsibility to be there for parents," she said.
Other places, like Berkshire South Regional Community Center in Great Barrington, stayed open until 2 p.m., but, weather pending, planned to reopen as usual today.
Northern Berkshire YMCA also closed early Monday and posted general advice on its website: "Be safe -- when in doubt, call ahead!"
Social networks like Facebook revealed Berkshire families making the most of a rainy day, from eating snacks to playing board games and watching
The website for Berkshire Family Focus listed 11 things for families of all ages to do while weathering the storm, from building a fort to making art to cooking and eating a family meal together.
Schools stay closed
Area school closings for today:
* Adams-Cheshire Regional School District: C.T. Plunkett Elementary, Cheshire Elementary and Hoosac Valley Middle & High School are closed.
* Berkshire Arts & Technology Charter Public School is closed.
* Clarksburg Elementary is closed.
* Emma L. Miller Memorial School in Savoy is closed.
* Gabriel Abbott Memorial School in Florida is closed.
* McCann Technical School is closed.
* Mount Greylock Regional High School is closed.
* North Adams Public Schools: Sullivan, Brayton & Greylock elementary schools, Drury High School are closed.
* Pine Cobble School in Williamstown is closed.
* Pownal Elementary School is closed.
* Stamford Elementary is closed. No preschool. No afternoon activities.
* Williamstown Elementary is closed.
* The Northern Berkshire Y has postponed its annual Halloween party until Thursday.
* List is as of 7:50 p.m. Monday